Somlószőlős is a small village in the west of Veszprém county, at the foot of the smallest historical winegrowing region of Hungary, Somló. The settlement emerges from the villages surrounding Somló hill. Today it has nearly 800 inhabitants.
Its name derives from a Hungarian word related to winegrowing (“szőlős”). The name of the village is mentioned already in documents dating from as early as 1211 and 1266, then later in 1488 and 1568 in the form of Nagh-zewlwns, and Nagy Zelels.
The village was known as Nagyszőlős up until 1898, when it took up the name Somlószőlős, still in use today. The reason for this change was, that there was a town with the same name in Ugocsa county of historical Hungary (now to be found in Ukraine).
It belonged to the Abbey of Tihany from the 1180-ies. Inhabitants in the region, already from the Roman era have known and cultivated grapes, their names also carried their profession.
Archaeological founds from the precinct of the settlement are proof of the existence of settlements form early history. The medieval predecessor of the modern settlement extended on the western slopes of the prominent hill in the SE end of the village. This is also where the church from the Árpád era is standing.
The village borders on the settlements Iszkáz, Kisszőlős, Somlóvecse, Nagyalásony, Pápasalamon, Somlójenő and Somlóvásárhely. It has its longest border to Doba.
Its earth is generally fertile, but the stream Hajagos flowing through it has caused a lot of troubles with its frequent floods. Part of the southern cultivation area of Somló hill belongs to Somlószőlős. 77% of its 2000 hectare ground are plough-land, meadow or pasture, 10% are forests and winegrowing is done on the remaining 13% on Somló hill.
N 47.169668000; E 17.360090000;